Recent Reviews and Comments

  • Beth Mayberry wrote; I've always known you were incredibly talented Melony but your photography is more like gifted instead of just talent.
  • Donna Robinson wrote; You are Gifted....what a Heart.
  • Jamie Ferree Muller wrote; Your work is fantastic and you are a true professional who cares about every detail!! You deserve all the recognition in the world!!!

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Fine Art of Dolphins

Dolphins are my favorite mammal on earth. If I could travel the earth photographing every type of dolphin ever know, I'd be happy as a clam (not that I'm not already  :)!
Dolphins are strong, graceful, intelligent and fierce when necessary. They have been known to take on sharks (and win!), and have, in the next breath, been instrumental in the saving of a human life.
Several years ago I visited a dolphin sanctuary on a photo assignment. When the time came for the park to close, people shuffled toward the exit, leaving me alone in the underground observation area. As I stood there watching them in awe, a female dolphin swam directly to me, face-to-face and nose-to-nose, but for the glass between us. For the next minutes we looked directly into each other's eyes. Our faces didn't move. The silence of the room was almost deafening. This may sound silly to some, but in that moment we connected mammal to mammal, female to female, creation to creation. It was a moment I won't ever be able to fully describe.
I know there are skeptics who would say this was just a cool moment. Yes, it was. It was more, though. For a few moments I had a surreal bond with one of the earth's most amazing creatures. Creatures, that I have no doubt, we have only scratched the surface of understanding.
I keep images of dolphins in nearly every room of my home because of the respect and admiration I have for them. Some of the images I've had the honor of shooting myself, and turning into fine art. I thought you might enjoy them.



 I cherish these images. Their subjects remind me of what we can be.

Wishing You Joy,

Melony

No comments: